Has your child graduated from the Children's Department?
Are they ready and excited for the fun they'll experience with Teen Services?
We're excited to have them!
Developing a dedicated, attractive, motivating teen-oriented space provides a way to create a positive environment for teens to study and socialize. It also contributes to the safety and well-being of teens while in the library. The social nature and unique characteristics of this age group require a separate space designed for their needs. The Teen Room looks and works much differently than the Children's Department, but we hope to provide a smooth transition for you and your teen.
Here's what to expect in the Teen Room:
- During the school year, the Teen Room is staffed from 3-7pm by a full-time Teen Librarian. The teen room is closed to all activity, besides book selection, at 7pm. We do our best to supervise the Teen Room during peak hours.
- The Teen Services staff purchase materials for grades 6-12. Content and maturity levels span from middle school to high school and young adult. We encourage you to remain involved in selecting materials for your teen. Parents and guardians are responsible for deciding which items are appropriate for their teen to read/view. Library staff will not censor a teen's selections, but we are available to help you with the selection process.
- To ensure that teens feel comfortable expressing their individuality, parental supervision at programs is discouraged. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your concerns with the hopes of assuring that you, your teen, and the other teens participating feel welcome and comfortable at library programs. Establishing lasting relationships with our teens and their parents is our top priority.
- Programming in the Teen Room is intended for interested participants entering 6th grade (and at least 11 years old) through 12th grade. Grade levels on special events may vary. Please contact us with questions on program participation.
- Patrons of all ages may enter the Teen Room to retrieve materials for checkout, but the computers, televisions, gaming equipment, and study spaces are reserved for teens in grades 6-12 only. We encourage you to visit another department for your computer and study space needs if you do not fall within this age group.
Please visit our Teen Programming page for information on upcoming Teen Programs. We encourage teens to register online for upcoming programs to ensure that we have enough supplies for each participant.
If you have questions or concerns about Teen Room policies and procedures, please contact:
Emily Ellis, Head of Reference and Teen Services