History of Greenwood timeline
John B. Smock and brother Issac came from Mercer Co. Kentucky and settle near Madison Road and the Marion – Johnson County line. This was where they found the best water source.
James Smock and family join his brothers and their settlement is named “Smocktown;” Madison State Road opens which links Madison, IN to Indianapolis.
Smocktown becomes Greenfield; Smock family founds the Greenwood Presbyterian Church; Johnson County if formed and named after Judge John Johnson, one of the first justices of the state Supreme Court
Greenwood Presbyterian Church is built. This is the first church in Johnson County and also serves as a school for six years
First post office is established at what is now Madison Ave and Fry Rd. The first postmaster is James Smock
Pleasant Township is formed out of White River Township in Johnson County
Town of Greenfield officially becomes Greenwood in order to eliminate confusion with nearby Greenfield in Hancock County
Mt. Auburn United Methodist Church is organized and builds “Old School Mud House” which serves as a school and church.
Dr. Benjamin Noble, father of George T. Noble and Noah Noble (Indiana’s 5th governor) moves to Greenwood. Dr. Noble is the first physician to settle in Greenwood. Dr. Noble is later joined by Dr. William H Wishard, whose son, William N. Wishard, was the father of Wishard Memorial Hospital in Indianapolis.
Town’s first general store is opened by James W. Parker. The store is located at what is now Madison Ave and Main St. Parker is credited with being the first merchant in Greenwood.
Madison and Indianapolis railroads are completed and the first train travels through Greenwood in October.
A.G. Searle establishes an iron foundry on Foundry Street (now Pearl Street), which closes in 1862
Greenwood Steam Flour Mill is built by Henderson and Smith; This mill was destroyed by a fire in the early 20th century
First banking institution is opened by Grafton Johnson
Greenwood is incorporated as a town
A brick school is built on the present site of the Central School in Greenwood, this building is destroyed by fire in winter of 1865
2 story brick school opens in Greenwood at site of old building that was burnt in the fire
James T. Polk and wife Laura begin the JT Polk Canning Company in the kitchen of their home. “Polk’s Best” eventually becomes the largest cannery west of Baltimore and the town’s biggest employer
J.T. Polk Co. opens its first factory
J.T. Polk Co. moves its operations into a new four-story brick factory. The following year, the company erects a boarding house for employees and they begin manufacturing their own cans at a rate of 10,000cans a day
Sumner Rose begins publishing Greenwood’s first newspaper, The Graphic
Greenwood Mineral Water Association is formed; Mineral water is found at a depth of 1700 feet and a sanitarium is established
Greenwood School expands
Douglas Dahlins begins publishing Greenwood’s 2nd paper, The Era, when The Graphic moves to Ingalls, IN
Greenwood gets its first telephone exchange
Greenwood’s first park is built, Beech Park, just south of Beech Park Drive; the park was unpopular and closed within 4 years
Greenwood & Franklin railway is completed linking Greenwood to Indianapolis.
Lora and Maggie Heck purchase holdings of the Greenwood Sanitarium Water Association as well as an adjoining 5-acre tract and erect a large hotel, which included mineral baths. The Greenwood Sanitarium attracted patients from throughout the Midwest
Johns Swann purchases town paper and The Era becomes The Greenwood Era
School house is rebuilt; the new building houses all 12 grades
Congress authorizes the establishment of the first Rural Routes from the Greenwood Post office. By this time there are 16 mail delivery routes operating out of Greenwood
Greenwood Water Company completes construction of a water and light plant
Greenwood Banking Co. is reorganizes and incorporated under the name, The First National Bank.
Citizens Water and Light Company is formed by Dr. James A. Craig and John W. Henderson
J.T. Polk Co.’s factory is destroyed by fire. It is rebuilt and resumes operation within a year
Isom Elementary School is built
Citizens Water and Light Co. is sold to the Interstate Public Service Co., precursor of Public Service Indiana
The Greenwood Era becomes The Greenwood News; Greenwood Sanitarium destroyed by fire and is not rebuilt
Greenwood Building Association is formed; Dr. James A Craig is the first president
James T. and Laura Polk Memorial Community House is dedicated
Greenwood High School opens; 12 room building built south of the elementary school and faces Broadway.
Following the 1933 Bank Holiday, Citizens National Bank and the First National Bank merge and form the National Bank of Greenwood
Population of Greenwood reaches 2499
Greenwood High School destroyed by fire
Greenwood News merges with the Franklin Democrat and becomes the Johnson County News
Population of Greenwood reaches 3051
6-room Jr/Sr High School is built
12 room addition, library and gym are added to Greenwood High School
New post office building opens
Greenwood High School adds another 18 classrooms and a cafeteria
Greenwood reaches 7169 and becomes a fifth-class city; Walter Burkhart is elected Greenwood’s first mayor; Northeast Elementary School opens with 12 classrooms
Southwest Elementary School opens with 12 classrooms
W.B. “Mike” Myers becomes Greenwood’s 2nd mayor
Greenwood Shopping Center is built by Atkinson & Co. on an 87-acre site and is expanded a year later
Harold “Jack” Smith becomes Greenwood’s 3rd mayor
Population reaches 11,740; A new $4.5 million Greenwood High School opens and the old school becomes Greenwood Middle School
John O. Boner becomes the 4th Mayor
Lawrence Myers becomes the 5th mayor
Melvin Simon & Associates purchases the Greenwood Shopping Center from Atkinson & Co
Valle Vista Golf Resort becomes privatized and renamed Valle Vista Country Club
Vaino Grayam is the 6th mayor; Population reaches 19,781; Greenwood Shopping Center expands and is reopened as Greenwood Park Mall
Jeanette Surina becomes the 7th mayor and first woman mayor; New post office, at Smith Valley Rd and US 31, opens
Greenwood Gazette begins publication with a circulation of 14,000; Skyway Airport is purchased by the town and renamed Greenwood Municipal Airport
Population reaches 26,265
Margaret McGovern becomes the 8th mayor; 3 building municipal facility adjacent to City Hall is named after Mayor Surina and becomes Surina Square.
Greater Greenwood Business Journal begins publication
Population reaches 29.425
Charles E. Henderson becomes the 9th mayor; Mayor McGovern appoints a 15 member council to promote fine arts activities in Greenwood
Population over 48,000